After being to more weddings than we can count, sometimes Kelly and I feel like we should go into the wedding planning business! ;-)
Here are a few random tips that can make your big day easier and more memorable...
- Unless you've got your heart dead-set on a summer wedding, go for a fall or even winter wedding. It'll be much easier to find vendors for your date, and you won't have to worry about wearing a heavy dress / tux in 90* heat!
- I know everyone wants to party into the night, but photography especially is a lot easier in well-lit conditions. Of course that's just the photographer in me talking, but overall your photos will come out much nicer in daylight.
- Make your day your own! Tradition is good, and there's nothing at all wrong with a traditional ceremony and/or reception, but don't be afraid to buck some trends here and there to make your wedding a truly memorable occasion.
- In our opinions, there are things to spend money on, and things it's okay to cut back on...spend on good food, moderately good booze, photography, and reception site. Things it's okay to cut back on...DJ, table settings, video. That's not to say those things aren't important, just in our experience those are the things that if you have to cut somewhere, that's where you'll notice it less.
- When considering a ceremony site, look at the details. The things that drive me batty as a photographer because I know they ruin photos...old carpet (70s orange, bay-beee!), bad lighting (including very low lighting, fluoroscent lighting, etc.), lots of power cords and other clutter draped all over everything.