Saturday, June 16, 2007

Formula 1 USGP--Day 3

Qualifying today! Jason and I got out to the track around 10:00, just in time for the Saturday practice session and then a nice wait in the 92 degree heat for the qualifying in the afternoon. We brought camp-chairs and umbrellas today, and walked around to the opposite side of the track from where we were shooting yesterday. Got to get up on a low hill and even found an area where we could shoot around the fencing (and where all the other photographers congregated). Talked to an older guy out of Chicago who'd been coming to the races for 30 years to photograph, and also a young guy from (I think) Germany who had a killer 300mm zoom. The 70-200 with the 2x extender is still working like a champ, though tomorrow for the race itself I'm going to be bringing the monopod.

I shot a LOT heavier today, ending up with close to 600 photos. After sorting through them all I realized that I had dozens of basically the same shot, over and over (and over, and over...). So in a way that was kind of cool; I know now that I can go out tomorrow for the race, get some great shots early on, and then kick back and watch the race with both eyes (instead of one eye through a viewfinder and the other squinted shut). As far as I know though, that one area where we were shooting today is about the only place on the track where we can shoot without fencing in the way, so tomorrow we're planning on grabbing breakfast on the way to the track and getting out there EARLY. We'll see how that pans out!

In the meantime, photos from today...








No comments: