Thursday, June 14, 2007

Formula 1 USGP--Day One

I'm a sports nut, but I'm cut from a different mold I guess, because all the sports I follow are either 'outcast sports' (NHL hockey) or European (English Premier League football (soccer), Formula 1 motor racing). Anyway, this weekend is like my Christmas. It's an amazing thing to live in Indianapolis and be able to drive less than a half hour to go see the US F-1 race. Actually, though, in the past I wasn't able to go because of prior shooting commitments, so I'm SO pumped about being able to spend almost the entire weekend at the track soaking in the sights, sounds, and events of a Formula 1 race.

Day One was today--just an open-track for the fans to come out and walk the pit-lane to watch the teams setting up the cars in the paddocks. Awesome, awesome, and more awesome. I got to the track around 10:30, found a parking spot, and hiked the 3/4 mile or so to the speedway office to pick up my tickets and parking pass. Then it was another 1/4 mile or so to the main gate, then about 3/4 of a mile through the infield to the entrance to the pits/paddocks. I got to test out the new 2x extender on our 70-200mm long zoom lens, and holy wow is it awesome. At something close to 500mm of zoom I was getting tack-sharp shots of mechanics' hands from fifty feet away. WHEWWWWW too cool!

Just got done processing photos (I shot light...only about 180 today), and here are some of the best. The whole set can be seen by heading over to our Flickr Page.

Can't wait to see the cars on-track at tomorrow afternoon's practice. I have a feeling I'll need a few extra CF cards for that. ;-)













No comments: